King Digital Entertainment, is a smart phone and social media platform game developing company and the biggest and game developer for Facebook. King develops games for the web, mobile (iOS, Android and Windows Phone). Headquarters is based in London, United Kingdom.
King digital was founded in 2003. It is lead by Riccardo Zacconi, who is also one of the co-founder and the present CEO of the company. Founding partner Melvyn Morris serves as chairman.
- Prior to founding King, Zacconi, Morris, and Toby Rowland worked together on uDate.com, a site created by Morris. Morris sold the site for $150 million in 2003.
- By the first quarter of 2012, King had 30 million unique users. Users jumped to 408 million by the end of 2013.
- Sales increased from a little over $62 million in 2011 to $1.88 billion in 2013. Sales in 2014 were over $2.6 billion, with Candy Crush generating nearly half of that amount.
- 97.7% of people are playing King’s games for free, the 2.3% that pay are spending an average of $23.42 a month within the games
- Candy Crush Saga was launched on Facebook in April 2012 and quickly gained popularity. By January 2014, it had over 150 million monthly users.
- King launched Candy Crush Saga on mobile (iOS and Android) in November 2012. The game was downloaded over 10 million times in its first month.
- As of November 2014, King has 10 games available for download on the major app stores. This include – bubble Witch Saga, Farm Heroes Saga, Candy Crush Saga, Candy Crush Soda Saga, Bubble Witch 2 Saga, Diamond Digger Saga, Papa Pear Saga, Pepper Panic Saga, Pet Rescue Saga, and Pyramid Solitaire Saga.
- Analysts believe, King is probably already generating hundreds of millions of dollars every year from advertising. 9to5Mac reported that just candy crush saga brings in a total revenue stream of $633,000 a day! The game could possibly bring in $230 million a year or more if this daily rate continues.
- Bubble Saga, King’s 7th most successful game, has 1 million Monthly Active Uses. If Bubble Saga was a standalone mobile app, that would make it a hot new startup just on its own.
What do we learn from this?
If you are having an entrepreneurial spirit and passion about developing mobile games, you can surely go ahead and do it. Come out with some creative and innovative game idea and start developing game. Let some of your friends let it test and note down their feedback and observe, how they are interacting with game. With the help of that feedback, develop it further to shape it better and better. Once you have few people who loves the game, you can launch it in play store. Try to group of with people having similar interest like you and shortly you could have a whole new cool mobile gaming start up.
It’s all about developing a game, that should be a bit addictive and loved by people and you will surely have success and a long way to go.
More and more people are loving to play mobile games and if you can can make a game counter part on social media platform it would be even better to popularize the game. So, what are you still waiting for? Start drafting your next big idea into a mobile game and make the next Candy Crush.
Latest posts by Kaushal Gohil (see all)
- Learn How to Make Money on YouTube - October 14, 2015
- WhatsApp on Pc | Use it directly from your desktop - August 17, 2015
- Dubsmash | Everything you wanted to know about - July 30, 2015